Sunday, May 06, 2012

Our new garden

One of the first things I did when we moved into our new house was to put in a couple of small vege beds!
We, or at least I, didn't have a very good growing season unfortunately, but it's a long term process.. We've had a reasonable time with snap peas & kale though, so that's a start!

And sometimes things surprise you.. because I'm a neglectful gardener, a month after my carrots were supposed to be done - but were pretty pathetic at that point - I finally got around to pulling the rest of the tops out, and look what I found!! And that is even a full size dinner plate!!
 That's the best carrot haul I've ever had lol! And you've gotta love rainbow carrots, those purple ones are packed with antioxidants & all sorts of goodness..

Another thing I look forward to each year is the popcorn haul... we didn't have much success with that either this year, but it still adds up, and the kids love it!! They get to pick all the kernels off the dried cobs -

we ended up with a large teacup full of beautiful heritage strawberry popcorn-

I've got my winter seeds germinating on our kitchen bench in egg cartons - broccoli, cauliflower, spinach & kale - and for once I'm all prepared for the shortest day with bags of garlic & delightfully named potato onions!!

2 comments:

Anne (I should be sleeping) said...

How's your garden growing now? :)

Nova said...

Garlicly! The kale & silverbeet in those pics are still producing leaves, but the rest has got lots of red garlic, elephant garlic, and potato onions that have recently sprouted :) I did actually get them in around the shortest day for once!